‘Absorbing light’

I recently visited Idris Khan’s Exhibition at the Victoria Miro Gallery, initially interested in the minimalist influence of his work (which felt related to my practise). I later found out when researching before my visit that his work explored the physiological influence of being detained on an individual.

Much of Khan’s work deals with metaphysical and aesthetic questions, using layering and repetition. He has employed the use of both sculpture and painting/ layered 2D work to explore how we recall mass, space and volume when placed in situations where our senses are limited/ fragmented.  I have been similarly interested in the concealment of imagery, focusing more on the obvious removal of information.

‘The Pain of Others’
2017
Idris Khan
‘The Pain of Others’
2017
Idris Khan

However, when moving around the exhibition space, it wasnt until closer inspection that I realised the inclusion of text within his large black wall painting work. The language of prisoners had be concealed to the extent that only singular words could be made out. I found that this build up of information concealing the very information included was an idea which I haven’t explored yet in my own practise. I think its conceptually very interesting to present a viewer with the information they need/ should know but the quantity is what holds them back from being able to digest it. I am exploring this through the shredding of numerous documents and images which will no longer be digestible on the scale their presented.