Richard Wilson

When researching into the work of Gordon Matta-Clarke, I became particularly interested in Wilsons work when I first looked at his piece ‘Turning the place over’, which featured a circular segment of a wall rotating and detaching itself from the building. The work is obviously very structurally challenging to achieve but I think there is a playfulness which we don’t encounter in our everyday situations which I really enjoy about the work. Theres coming very humorous about cutting sections from buildings, when It seems so natural to cut sculpture and paper and canvas, when their subject is architecture and they treat it in the same way as something more malleable, we have to deconstruct our understanding of a building as a functioning space when viewing the work.

‘Turning the place over’
By Richard Wilson

I later realised I had seen his work in situ when around Holborn. His piece ‘Square the block’ I had discussed with my friend, unaware at the time weather it was art or an accident. We looked at the structure and experienced the piece as interaction with art in an unexpected format and location. Taking this from a context where we expect to see interventions into the everyday was really interesting to me. The forced destruction of the building wasn’t as impressive as I feel the photo displays. They joinery showed that the ‘falling’ bricks were mounted onto the surface of the wall rather than a part of the construction which I felt was a shame as it made it more obvious that this was Art and not a structure which at any moment could fall down.

‘Square the block’
Richard Wilson

Wilson’s work always referenced the existing architectural context and said: “Whenever I start a piece of work I start the process by trying to understand the particular nature of the site and the reason for making the work. For me that’s the springboard that starts me towards an idea.”

I also have become interested in his work collaboratively with the RA ‘Hang on a minute lads… I’ve got a great idea’. The work, based on ‘the Italian Job’ movie, consider of a replicated bus canter-levering over one of Hong Kong’s most iconic Grade 1 Listed Facades to a Hotel. This work really brings into question were the sculpture ends and architecture starts, blurring the lines between the two. Although this has moved away from my initial interest in his work for the destructive construction of buildings as sculpture – which I aimed to translate into photographical manipulation- I have found that his work creates an interesting conversation between boundaries of art. Encountering his work in the everyday forces us to consider its creation but question its origin.

‘Hang on a minute lads… I’ve got an idea’
2015
Richard Wilson

Bibliography:

Please see: Gorden Matta-Clarke