Manipulating Exposure

BLACK – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –  WHITE

‘Black to White Windows’
2017
Ruth Linnell

Having been influenced by the work of John Hilliard, I started to explore how exposure could be a form of manipulating an image to remove information form it. This could happen in two ways, by turning black and in the other extreme white. I initially planned this piece to be far smaller scale, only 20 images but as I started to explore how to edit the images it expanded. I played with the exposure levels but as I was working towards creating a White image, I discovered that I could get there by producing harsh lines of colour or by softly facing the image to wash it out completely. These two techniques I found hard to marry together into a nice grid formation. However, with time I was able to create a layout which worked subtly in transitioning between the two.

Experimental process of creating ‘Black to White Windows’ 

Although the exposure was an important element in referencing the removal of an images information, I was more concerned with emphasising the time which the creation of the work had taken. The manipulation and sizing of each image, followed by the cutting out of each square, its positioning within the grid and finally mounting onto the wall in a systematic way all took an considerable length of time. I found that the labour involved in the works production, and its controlled aesthetic were of more interest to be than the photographic processes I have made so obvious within the piece – manipulating exposure.

Experimental process of creating ‘Black to White Windows’
Ruth Linnell
Ruth Linnell

Please see: John Hilliard