Scattered in Situ

Sca t t   e     r     e        d             i             n              s                i                  t                      u

‘Strips Scattered in Situ’ I
2017
Ruth Linnell

I started to explore how scattering cut up images within a space could function as another form of disrupting the image. However, I quickly found that this form of presentation seemed unfinished and would only work on a larger scale, having been pushed further. I took an image which was primarily of a wall with some small widows within its frame. When cutting this image it’s subject matter became significantly obscured as many of the strips were just of brick work. I think that the work might have been more successful if i have considered which image to use sightly more carefully. I feel that the concept of the practical work is somewhat taking of the content of the image, being far more process lead. I want to push the work forward by changing the imagery I have used.

‘Strips Scattered in Situ’ II
2017
Ruth Linnell

I think in principle the concept of distributing sections of an image was rooted in a desire for the viewer to have to patch together the sections, creating a puzzle which needed to be solved. However, in reality because the images were only A3 in scale, they became more like off cuts which weren’t important, swallowed up by the space. I think that if I did want to pursue this idea further the dissection of the images would be far more thorough and I would hang the work in a more structured way. I feel that the relaxed form of presentation is in contrast with the subject matter. It seems to undermine the importance of whats being discussed- especially as the strips have been placed on the floor.

‘Strips Scattered in Situ’ III
2017
Ruth Linnell