A Wooden Triangle

‘A Wooden Triangle’ 2017 by Ruth Linnell

I found so small wooden triangular off cuts in our studio and was particular drawn to their form, although usable as door stops they had been left for grabs. I wanted to explore experimentally with them but consider sculpture as a component in how I could express my work. I started to playfully marry images of barred windows by slotting them into these blocks of wood, Standing them in place. These sculptures started to present the printed image in a new way, body proclaiming their importance, more so that when viewed digitally or on a wall.

Experimental Photography by Ruth Linnell

However, during my documentary process of photographing these impromptu sculptures, I started to use the photography as another means of disguising what could be seen. The use of dramatic shadows and angles started to become sculptural itself, even though it was a photographic image I was producing. Although these images have become abstracted to the point where they no longer reference imagery from detention camps, they still have the remnant of that information heavily embedded within its make up. This interests me, that information can be contained within a piece of work, yet it remains visually concealed.