An Impressed Symbol

I started to explore a more minimalistic approach to communicate something significant. I impressed a symbol, having been influenced by Matisse’s faith in something symbolic sufficing, which has started to repeat itself through my work. I think It could be interesting to explore how this symbol might follow someone round. During my trip to the Peter Liversidge Exhibition in Southwark Park, my friend keep being followed by the ? symbol which he had seen in the exhibition. I think this notion of a symbol being powerful in etching itself in someones mind could be a way of the artist having an extended role in making the viewer ponder on something significant (such a detention camps) over a sustained period of time.

I found that when exploring with impressions, I have initially been influenced by the traces I found on the back of my drawings. Developing theses to more permanent works made me consider how colour- or its removal- can influence how we read images.

‘Impressed Symbol’
2017
by Ruth Linnell
Experimental Exportation
2017
By Ruth Linnell
Experimental Exportation
2017
By Ruth Linnell

I also started to explore how the application of paint to an images surface can remove much of its visibility but when the image which is concealed has an emotional weight, much of that is still communicated. I think it would be interesting to explore hiding images from detention camps beneath paint, to be read along side a simple statement which explains the location. The knowledge which is then given to the viewer through text, can do much of the communication. I think in future, I would cover the images more fully/evenly in white paint as they have a very textural quality at the moment which distracted form the intended aim.

Sketchbook work
2017
By Ruth Linnell
Sketchbook work
2017
By Ruth Linnell

Please see: Peter Liversidge @ CGP London