Veils

Using my earlier drawings, I started to play around with the involvement of Veils. What is a Veil and what does it fundamentally represent?

When researching into this concept I discovered that a veil could be known as:

• Something which covers, separates, screens or conceals eg a veil of smoke.
  • A mask, disguise or pretence.

When researching into this subject I discovered that the most frequent connotation of a ‘veil’ was religious. More specifically researching ‘veiling of objects’ I learn about christian liturgical tradition in which veils are symbolically tied to the veils in the Tabernacle in Solomon’s Temple. The purpose of these veils is to shield the most holy from the eyes of sinners. The veil was placed between the inner sanctuary and the Holy of Holies and the veils are used to remind people of when the veil was torn during Jesus’s death. I found this interesting as I wanted to consider the ripping of a veil/ the Veil being the work itself. When photographing my work with an outreaching hand, the work became a symbol of hope to a dire situation.  For Christians , grace and hope were given when the torn was ripped in two as it provided direct access to God. By drawing on the very material of a veil and its symbolic nature I could discuss ‘hope’ as a theme in my work.

‘Veils I’
2017
by Ruth Linnell
‘Veils II’
2017
by Ruth Linnell

I felt that I was able to continue my investigation in visually exploring how people observe/ react to the same situation in different ways.  We are all POWERFUL people and therefore have the ability to view our situations with positivity, knowing that there is a greater plan/ something better coming- with gratitude. OR we look at our situations with despair, seeing only the bad and without hope. The use of a veil, evokes an emotional response. We start to question if theres ignorance involved either in on our part (in not seeing the whole situation/ not being able to access the same contextual information which has been drawn on to give the detainees a wider context when forming an opinion about their situation in a detention camp) or in the view of the detainees themselves, being filled with hope.

‘Veils III’
2017
by Ruth Linnell

Please see:Curtain (for William and Peter) 1969