Filing Cabinets

FILING

CABINETS

‘Filling Cabinets’ 2017 by Ruth Linnell

I started to visually explore how positioning photographs in space can alter our understanding of their context. They enter into a sculptural realm, with relativity to their surroundings. By placing images on filing cabinets, I have started to question the filing of documents in relation to humanitarian crisis. We can so easily become ditched from individuals and focus on the documentation of facts.  Chopping these images in half, in quarters, into sections and by removing elements from their composition by cutting them out of painting over them has become a way of being being able to control the viewers perspective. By physically manipulating the composition I am able to change how you might be able to interpret the work. This restriction I have explored by directing images.

Sketchbook Work
2017
By Ruth Linnell
Sketchbook Work
2017
By Ruth Linnell

I started to play with documenting different variations of the same image. Each image shows a different combination of information which alters your understanding of the work. I want to look into the work of John Hilliard as he explores this concept in his photography.  With these filing cabinet images it might be interesting to print these life scale and see how they relate to the human form. I feel that I could explore other possible ways of manipulating photography such as overlaying objects/meticulously cutting and sticking back together.

‘Dissection’ 2017 by Ruth Linnell