Impressed Shapes

Having looked at silhouettes when photographing my work using shadow, I started to look at the back side of my work. I have created indentations when using pen to mark out the windows. I found this because as beautiful, if not more so, that my intended work. I’m interested in looking at minimalism and removing all visual representation other that texture. The work is now extruding into space, and making the viewer consider their body in relation to the work in the room. It would be interesting to attempt to recreate some of these pieces on canvas as stand alone works. At the moment the work is no more than 20cm sq, how could changing the scale of the work change the representation of a piece? I personally find these more visually interesting that my original drawings.

‘Impressed images’
20cm square
by Ruth Linnell
‘Impressed images’
20cm square
by Ruth Linnell

I had previously attempted to explore paper performing as sculpture by cutting reconfiguring images however now that I have started to manipulate the very nature of paper (being two dimensional) I feel I’ve more successful challenged the idea of using paper in sculpture. Im interested in exploring this concept in my work more. I have discovered artists who’s primary medium is paper, such as Li Hongbo, they are challenging the idea of paper being used only as the basis for a concept or representation to be communicated by making the medium an integral part of the work itself.

‘Impressed images’
40cm square
by Ruth Linnell